Prevent Home Electrical Fires
The good news is that many fires, including electrical fires, can be prevented. Follow these tips to keep your home and family safe.
- Routinely check your home's smoke detectors and change the batteries often. Smoke detectors should be less than 10-years-old and have a battery that is less than six months old. If your home is up to modern standards you will have one in every bedroom, on each floor, and in your garage. These smoke detectors should be tied together so that all sound simultaneously during a fire. Press the “Test” button to sound the alarms and check each alarm for sounding.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home. Carbon monoxide detectors are increasingly affordable and easy to install. They protect you from dangerous fumes and they also can alert you to some types of fires faster than a traditional smoke detector.
- Remove your old space heaters. Space heaters are extremely dangerous and are notorious for starting fires. If you must use a space heater consider using an oil type heater or a heater with a self-shutoff sensor. Keep space heaters away from combustible materials and never leave a space heater on while you are asleep or away.
- Only use extension cords for temporary use and make sure all your appliances are plugged directly into a wall outlet. Using an extension cord can lead to overheating and cause a fire. When using extension cords make sure they aren't worn or frayed and avoid placing them where they can become pinched or damaged like under a rug.
- Have your electrical system checked by a qualified electrician. Electrical panels, switches, and outlets wear out over time and can become fire hazards. If you're unsure if you need an outlet added, your electrical panel checked, or smoke detectors installed call TE Certified. Our experienced electricians are equipped to make sure your home is in safe working order.